The Student News Site of Bloomington High School North

Fused

Growing Up Mormon

Kristen Bils, Reporter

“So how many mom’s do you have?”

This is one of the questions people ask me when I tell them I’m a Latter-Day Saint (LDS) or Mormon. I don’t understand this stigma, as it happened over a hundred years ago and we haven’t practiced polygamy (plural marriage) since.

The Mormon church technically started in 1830 when Joseph Smith translated The Book of Mormon into English during one of the great awakening periods in the United States.

The Holy books we read are the Bible (King James Version), the Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Book of Mormon.

These Scriptures teach us about who we are and where we came from, it guides our lives and is centered around families, which are the most important for us.

I remember on the day I was baptised, I wore all white and I walked to the baptismal fount. The water was warm, and my dad was already standing there, waiting to baptise me. I was nervous because before I got into the water, some kids told me there where spiders in it.

I stood perpendicular to my dad as he held his left arm out in front of me. I had my left hand on his wrist as he held my right wrist so I could hold  my nose when I took the backwards plunge into the water.

When I got out of the water, I tried to squeeze the water in my braid into the hands of the other kids.  I thought it’d give them blessings too.

Growing up Mormon is just like growing up for anyone else really. The exceptions are that we have something called the Word of Wisdom. It’s basically God’s commandment to keep our bodies healthy physically and spiritually.

Whenever I began middle school at Batchelor, the dress code was that your sleeves had to have a three finger width and your pant legs had to be longer than the end of your fingertips. This dress code devastated a lot of the other middle schoolers. But the Mormon kids, including me, didn’t quite know what all the fuss was about.  We were already used to it.

We don’t drink coffee, tea, alcohol, caffeine, we are told to dress modestly, and we’re not supposed to eat a lot of meat with our meals. Boys should keep their hair short and girls should have their shirts covering their shoulders and pants or skirts at or below the knee.

Although many people might see these as restrictions, I like to think of them as our way of showing that we are grateful for the bodies we have by taking care of them and respecting them.