Fused

Filed under Features

BHSN Habitat for Humanity

North’s Habitat for Humanity is a club that is nationally recognized because of the
number of students who are involved in the building and fundraising of homes for low-income
families.
     Founded in 1998 by North students Josh Girvin and Joe Aamidor, the club began to form
its legacy for building houses. During the year of 2000, North Habitat became funded as an
independent campus and works in partnership with Monroe County Habitat.
     Students ages 16 and up are able to build on site and learn how to build a house step by
step. Although it may seem if you are younger than 16 that the club would not be a good fit for
you, that is not necessarily the case. Students who are 15 can still go out and help fundraise for
North’s next Habitat home, ultimately adding toward the greater goal of providing homes for
people who cannot afford one on their own.
     Each house that North sponsors totals $30 thousand in tools and supplies. The amount
of money works in a cycle, where Habitat fundraises one house and then fundraises another
house the next year. Fundraising is what keeps the club going.
     Evening for Habitat is North’s largest, annual fundraiser when local businesses donate
goods for a silent auction. Students spend the first half of the semester communicating with
businesses, telling them about the program and why they should donate items to Evening for
Habitat. This auction invites both businesses and parents to come eat a dinner and to bid for
baskets containing different items based on interests. All of the proceeds from this event go into
building North’s next Habitat home.
     In Sept. 2017, North’s Habitat program began to build their 17th house. Jennifer Lady,
who received North’s Habitat home for the year, describes how she feels about her Habitat
home, “I just feel very thankful that I was able to meet the program requirements and that
buying my own home is becoming a reality.” Lady needed to spend a certain amount of hours
helping out at Habitat’s Restore and spend time helping build with the North students and
professional construction workers. After four months of hard work, North’s Habitat team
completed the Lady family’s house.
     Because North’s Habitat is nationally recognized, the involvement of students in the
program shows how important building houses and making a difference in the community is to
students. Krishna Patel, junior at North, explains why she decided to join North’s Habitat, “I had
heard from my older sibling the year before that you can build houses for people that really want
them and that truly deserve them.”
     Not only are students at North able to build houses to help low-income families, but they
also get to hang out with old friends while making new ones as well. Site supervisors each day
provide either breakfast for students who attend the morning shift from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or
lunch for students who work the afternoon shift from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m, for free.
     North’s Habitat for Humanity not only creates a great place to build connections with
North students, but it also teaches the importance of giving back to the community, one hammer
and nail at a time.