Fused

Filed under Editorials, News

March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Previously published by The Herald Times

Back to Article
Back to Article

March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

With Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Student Cameron Kasky’s powerful words Saturday, “Welcome to the revolution,” so began a new era. Not only was our generation coming of age, but a new political force was being unleashed.

More than 50 students from Bloomington High Schools North and South walked in the March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, one of 839 marches worldwide.

Our message was clear: Young students are dying in mass shootings, and it’s time for a new generation to step up. Our generation is one of social media and smartphone users, but by attacking this issue head-on, we have broken those stereotypes, placing our bodies on the line in a visible protest space, just as so many (too many) students’ bodies have been under fire in school.

This is our issue. It’s real.

“They always try to say our generation is lacking,” said North senior Caleb Poer to our group once we exited the metro station. “But look at where we are now!”

The reality hit us. To our right, we could see the Capitol building, and to our left, the Washington Monument.

There was immediate excitement among the group as we chanted and held up our signs.

Poer, perched on a granite barrier wall, addressed us through an electric bullhorn, which he would use all day to start enormous crowd chants and deliver a brief speech reminding us why we were there.

Hours later, the official program began with a crowd-led countdown to its noon start with a video about the school shooting epidemic. The crowd booed each politician in the video offering nothing but “thoughts and prayers,” and loudly cheered our movement’s new heroes, especially Parkland student Emma Gonzalez.

Inspirational speakers and performers took the stage, bringing tears to our eyes. Edna Chavez, a high school student from Los Angeles, spoke about the loss of her older brother; Zion Kelly, a student from Washington, D.C., told about the loss of his twin brother and criticized lawmakers’ inaction. Lastly, Yolanda King, the 9-year-old granddaughter of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., spoke about her dream: “I have a dream that enough is enough, and that this should be a gun-free world. Period.”

The tears kept falling as Miley Cyrus joined the crowd in singing her song, “The Climb.” Finally, Jennifer Hudson finished the incredible program with a cover of Bob Dylan’s 1960s protest anthem, “The Times They are a-Changin’.”

But the moment I will never forget was Parkland student Emma Gonzalez standing in silence during her speech for more than six minutes, marking the length of time it took for all 17 lives to be taken at Parkland.

The moment left us all in powerful thought. Like others, I reflected on all of it. The stories I had heard, the lives taken, and I let out a few more tears for the victims.

And then it hit me. We were doing something about it. It was a coming- of-age experience I will never forget.

Poer wastes no time placing blame for the current predicament and declaring the size of our task ahead. “The adults have failed us,” he said. “What we are as a unit is a wave. To be silent is to be compliant, and to be compliant with the deaths of kids is the most un-American thing I can think of.”

1 Comment

One Response to “March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip”

1. John Jiler on November 3rd, 2018 8:26 am

GUNS MATTER!

Dear High School Journalist;

Autumn is deepening, and seniors are seriously thinking about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.

With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide, lawless violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:

ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, OR WYOMING.

We’ll be following up with letters to the Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Editorials

Life of an Athlete: My Story as a Student Athlete and Soccer Player

• Editorials

The Importance of Media

• Editorials

Promote Change through Listening

• Editorials

Editorial: Will Our Next President Live Up to Obama’s legacy?

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Editorials

Editorial: Revolutionizing the High School Newspaper

• Features

Visual Media at BHSN

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Features

Prom Savings!

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

News

The First-Ever Photo of a Black Hole

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Features

The Story of Women’s History Month

• March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip

Entertainment

Netflix Has a Huge Problem. And It’s Not the Price.

The Student News Site of Bloomington High School North
March For Our Lives, D.C. Trip